Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Act 1

These past days have been absolutely magical. Not the kind of magic that is performed by sorcerer’s and is unexplainable to the mind, but the magical feeling you get when the explainable is not to the mind, but to the heart. I’m talking about the magic of love; more importantly my love to my dear Othello. Othello and I decided we were ready to take our love to the next level, and a marriage was born. After we eloped, we wanted to spend our first night together as husband and wife at the Sagittary Inn. Overwhelmed from all the excitement, I was exhausted and could now only handle some sleep. Othello had been called outside by a group of men, and I assumed they were in need of his help since he is such a worthy and important general. In a way this pleased me, since his wonderful stories of his courage during the battles of war, are the cause of my great love for him. I was awakened from my dream by one of the Duke’s attendants whom of which told me the Duke wished to speak to me. This completely caught me off guard since I have never been asked to be seen by someone so important. When I arrived at the Duke’s I was surprised to see Othello, the Duke, and my father Brabantio standing before me. I instantly got a gut feeling that my father had found out about my secret marriage to Othello; and he was not at the least impressed. They all laid blank stares upon me until my father broke the silence by asking, “Where most you owe obedience?”(I.iii.180). Without pausing I replied, 
                         My noble father,
                         I do perceive here a divided duty:
                        To you I am bound for life and education;
                        My life and education both do learn me
                        How to respect you; you are the lord of duty;
                        I am hitherto your daughter: but here's my husband,
                        And so much duty as my mother show'd
                         To you, preferring you before her father,
                        So much I challenge that I may profess
                        Due to the Moor my lord. (I.iii.180-189)

I felt it was my duty to let my father know of my great respect and love for all he has done for me throughout my childhood. My father means a great deal to me, but know my adulthood love belongs to my husband Othello. My mother put my father before her father, and just like she did for him, I am going to do the same for Othello. I hoped this would allow my father to understand my actions, but let him know that the love I have for Othello is not false, and is purely from my own heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment