Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Act 2

Today I travelled to the little island of Cyprus where Turks were rumored to attack and conquer our land. It felt like my duty to be with Othello, even in times of great fear and danger. I was very nervous upon my husband’s arrival, in fear he would not arrive safely over the rough waters. If he were to drown, I could not bear living. I was so relieved to see his sweet face again; it filled my heart with such joy. Fortunately the Turkish fleet’s ships sunk, and we were at peace once again. I was happy to see my good friend Michael Cassio after arriving, whom greeted me graciously like a gentleman unlike Iago. Iago shared his view on women; I was not impressed to say the least. As I said to Emilia and Cassio, “O most lame and impotent conclusion! Do not learn of him, Emilia, though he be thy husband. How say you, Cassio? is he not a most profane and liberal counselor?”(2.2.160-162) to express my offence and anger. He believes we are all evil and only good for cleaning, cooking, and having children. This greatly offended me because it is untrue. All the venetians had a wonderful time with a feast, music, and dancing in celebration of the Turks demise and reinstating of peace. To my shock, Cassio was overly intoxicated and engaged in a fight with Roderigo and the governor. He brutally injured the governor, it must have been a terrifying sight but I know Cassio’s true nature, it was purely accidental. To my dismay, my beloved husband Othello relieved Cassio of his lieutenant position in regards to his actions and granted Iago the job instead. After the pandemonium had deceased, I continued on to bed with Othello.   

No comments:

Post a Comment